How Does Japanese Knotweed Affect House Buying?
There have been several reports in the media about how Japanese knotweed reduces the value of your house. Indeed, thanks to the structural damage that Japanese knotweed is capable of, the value of an affected property can decrease.
A buyer wishing to purchase a house or building with knotweed could well find mortgage lenders reluctant to offer finance. To overcome this, a full specialist treatment plan for Japanese knotweed removal is usually required, along with an insurance-backed guarantee that the problem is being dealt with efficiently. The idea is to completely safeguard the home against Japanese knotweed for a good number of years. The conveyancing stage then guarantees potential legal action to the seller won’t happen later on.
Any UK property seller will be asked to list Japanese knotweed in a specific form known as the TA6 property information form. The TA6 form offers some security for the buyer, in that if a seller doesn’t declare Japanese knotweed, and it’s later found to have a detrimental effect on the house, they can potentially be taken through a legal case for misrepresentation on sale. A TA6 property form gives confidence and assurance to the prospective buyer. New builds also include a homebuyer report to flag any issues that need urgent action, including Japanese knotweed.
Choose a Japanese Knotweed Expert to Deal with the Problem Properly
To satisfy a mortgage lender, you may need to hire, or agree to hire, a professional expert to remove knotweed. Japanese Knotweed Specialists are adequately placed to fulfil this as we:
- Are members of the Property Care Association (PCA) and Invasive Weed Control Group (IWG)
- Give competitive prices
- Offer solutions and JKW removal to both residential and commercial properties
- Use expert contractors in your area, providing work for local people
- Offer a live reporting and scheduling system so you’re always in the loop
- Serve our customers across England and Wales
- Use all the latest technologies to ensure full and complete removal of Japanese knotweed
- Give 5- and 10-year PCA and RICS-approved guarantees that are accepted by mortgage lenders
If you’re buying a home that potentially has knotweed, or you have been advised you need a specialist Japanese Knotweed removal expert, please contact our team for a no obligation quote or photo identification.